The experience of bariatric surgery is overwhelming, and we need all the help we can get to navigate our way through the maze of feelings, tasks, food, exercise and just plain staying inspired. I know because I’ve been there and will be on this journey for the rest of my life.
After surgery, I was hard-pressed to find a resource that helped me keep all the pieces of my new life together. I needed this “bible”, but it was nowhere to be found. So, in keeping with my passion to share my ideas and experiences with you, I created one. Yes, especially designed for us WLSers or anyone else who has lost considerable weight.
My journal is one of the most important tools I’ve got to keep me on track, and has helped me reach my goals:
- It makes it easy to keep a schedule of critical follow up appointments with my medical specialists.
- It keeps me inspired because I can look back on my progress during difficult times, like when the plateaus happen.
- It helps me keep track of my ounces and grams and calories, oh my.
- It gives me a handy place to keep my before and after photos. It’s easier to get to your goal when you recognize where you’ve been.
- It gives me a safe place to express my real, authentic feelings, and even regrets sometimes, but I’m always looking forward. It helps with the healing.
- It helps me stay mindful. Anxieties around pain, food, and fear of the future lose their power when you’re in the present moment.
Setting time aside to write in your journal and plan your new life will help you develop the discipline you need to make it in the long run. Remember to take one day at a time, one meal at a time, one page at a time. Your consistency and commitment will lead to your new life of health, happiness and harmony.